French Spelling Bee
We are pleased to host the Harrow Bangkok Spelling Bee on Saturday 6th June 2020
Petit déjeuner de bienvenue 9.30
French Spelling Bee Competition
French lesson from Alliance Française
The aim of the competition is to give school-age French language learners an exciting chance to perform their French specialism on stage. It is a great opportunity for students to practice and improve their vocabulary, spelling and memory skills in a foreign language.
The day will start with the spelling bee. There are four categories for the competition: Year 6/Year 7, Year 8, Year 9, and Year 10 (11 to 15 years old)
Each school will have three representatives per year group.
For each category, students are given a list of pre-selected words in advance that they need to be able to spell out loud in French.
The students will have to spell out as many words as possible during a minute slot.
Following the competition will be a French lunch in our Dining Hall.
In the afternoon Alliance Française Bangkok will run a French class.
- Students will be given a word in English, they will have to translate it into French and then spell it out using the French alphabet.
For example: garden
Le jardin, ça s’écrit J-A-R-D-I-N
- Students will have 1 minute to spell as many words correctly as possible. Pronunciation must be accurate. Each correct word will be awarded a point. If a word is not pronounced accurately, no point will be awarded.
- Where words have an article (e.g la fille) the article should be said in the translation, but does not need to be spelled out
Accents in French should be spelled in the following way:
é accent grave
ç c cédille
ô accent circonflexe
è accent aigu
- Any other spelling particularities should be spelled in the following way:
Space – Espace
Pass – Je passe
Hyphen – Trait d’union
Apostrophe – Apostrophe
- There will be a winner per year group and also a top three overall winner.
- The competition is not open to native French speakers.
How do I enter my students?
- Teachers must submit an entry by completing the form below and filling in the required detail
- You will receive a confirmation email with the vocabulary lists and lessons to introduce the competition with your classes.
- The deadline to enter the competition is Monday 30th March.
- The deadline to send the names of your representatives is Monday 11th May
Schools who are travelling from a distance away may have the option to stay in our boarding facilities.
All participants will receive a certificate of participation and a goody bag from Alliance Française. They will also receive a free French lesson from Alliance Française and a complimentary French breakfast and lunch. There will be both category and overall trophies to be won along with other prizes.